Ningbo Maritime Court Trial Status of Disputes over Labor contracts of Crew Members (January 2011 – December 2015)
- Ningbo Maritime Court Trial Status of Disputes over Labor contracts of Crew Members (January 2011 – December 2015)
- Zhejiang is a large oceanic province, enjoying relatively developed shipping and fishing industry. The Province has a large number of practicing crew members. Owing to the large risk of marine operation, the numerous practicing crew members, the high turnover and the relative lagging legislation relating to job and occupation guarantee, crew labor disputes constitute one of the key frequent conflict and dispute cases in the field of marine economy in Zhejiang. Since such dispute forms the main type of case in respect of livelihood of ordinary people in maritime trial, our Court attaches great importance to the trial of such dispute cases. The specific methods include establishing sound rights protection and litigation mechanisms for crew, timely accepting and properly settling crew labor disputes in accordance with the laws and contributing active efforts to promote the construction of harmonious and orderly nomocracy environment for crew labor, to maintain their lawful rights and interests and to develop a safe Zhejiang Province.
- From January 2011 and December 2015, our Court accepted and handled 4,224 crew labor dispute cases with RMB 206 million Yuan value of case object, accounted for 26.9% of all cases accepted during the corresponding period. It ranked ahead in maritime courts domestically (See the following Chart I for details of distribution). The main features are presented as:
- Chart I: Schematic Diagram of Crew Labor Disputes Accepted and Settled from 2011 to 2015 (Unit: case)
- Chart 1 omitted.
- (I) The main type of dispute lies in crew member labor contract dispute and maritime personnel injury liability dispute