Notice of the Supreme People's Court on Profoundly Implementing the Law of the People's Republic of China on People's Assessors
- Document Number：No. 110  of the Supreme People's Court
- Area of Law： State Organs
- Level of Authority： Working Documents of the Supreme People's Court and the Supreme People's Procuratorate
- Date Issued：04-28-2018
- Effective Date：04-28-2018
- Issuing Authority： Supreme People's Court
- Status： Effective
- Notice of the Supreme People's Court on Profoundly Implementing the Law of the People's Republic of China on People's Assessors
- (No. 110  of the Supreme People's Court)
- The higher people's courts of all Provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities directly under the Central Government; and the Production and Construction Corps Branch of the Higher People's Court of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous:
- The Law of the People's Republic of China on People's Assessors (hereinafter referred to as the "Law on People's Assessors") was deliberated and adopted at the Second Session of the Standing Committee of the Thirteenth National People's Congress on April 27, 2018 and issued with immediate effect on the same day. The issuance of the Law on People's Assessors is a major event in the building of the rule of law for socialism with Chinese characteristics and the rule of law and a new milestone in protecting the democratic rights of citizens and advancing the construction of judicial democracy. In order to thoroughly implement the Law on People's Assessors and better achieve the functions and effects of the people's assessors regime in the trial work of people's courts, you are hereby notified of the following matters:
- I. Fully recognizing the great significance of implementing the Law on People's Assessors
- The Law on People's Assessors comprehensively drew upon the practical experience in the 13-year implementation of the Decision of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress on Improving the People's Assessors Regime, inscribed the experience in the pilot programs of the reform since the Third and Fourth Plenary Sessions of the 18th CPC Central Committee in a law, further improved the selection, participation, and management, and other aspects of people's assessors, and ushered China's people's assessors regime into a new stage of development. The correct implementation of the Law on People's Assessor is conducive to the improvement of the judicial regime of socialism with Chinese characteristics and of great significance for advancing judicial democracy, furthering judicial equity, defending judicial integrity, enhancing judicial credibility, and allowing the people to feel fairness and justice in every judicial case.
- The people's courts at all levels shall fully understand the significance of enacting the Law on People's Assessors, attach great importance to the implementation of the Law on People's Assessors, and set an agenda for the important work of effectively studying, publicizing, and implementing the Law on People's Assessors. The people's courts at all levels shall closely rely on the firm leadership of the local party committees, the powerful supervision of the people's congresses and their standing committees, the vigorous cooperation of the relevant government agencies, and the care and support of all sectors of society and take the issuance of the Law on People's Assessors as an opportunity to improve working mechanisms, intensify efforts, and expand social influence, so as to strive to blaze a trail for the work in relation to people's assessors.
- All the higher people's courts shall earnestly undertake the main responsibilities for implementing the Law on People's Assessors, based on local actual circumstances, study and develop a package of work proposals and implementation measures for implementing the Law on People's Assessors as soon as possible, strengthen organization and coordination, procure work arrangements, specify work responsibilities, enhance guidance and supervision, and ensure implementation at all levels.
- The people's courts at all levels shall carry out learning campaigns in various forms by plan and by group, first procure court leaders and judges to learn, take the lead in learning, grasp a deeper understanding, fully and accurately study and understand the legislative spirit and main content of the Law on People's Assessors, endeavor to improve judges' understanding and app